Conference Schedule - PGCon 2022
Improving PostgreSQL's mysterious SLRU subsystem
Time: 13:15 - 14:15
Room: Stream 2
Alongside relation data (tables and indexes), PostgreSQL also manages 7 different sets of "SLRU" files. This talk will go into detail about the most important ones for transaction management. Topics will include:
- Overview of the 7 SLRUs
- The commit log's design and history
- The multixact log's design and history
- Why don't other databases have those things?
- Access patterns
- Format, I/O and buffering
- How can we make all of this faster and more reliable?
- Proposals to unify with the main buffer pool
- Experimental results